What should I expect when I arrive? 

You will be warmly greeted and asked to complete the initial paperwork. You may download forms here to get a head-start on the process. Once the paperwork is completed you will have your intake appointment with your individual counselor. Depending on the nature of your appointment (individual, couple's or family), the intake appointment will take from 1 to 2 hours. After your therapist completes the clinical interview she or he will work with you to define your personal treatment goals.

How long will treatment last?

Treatment on average can last from three to six months depending on your treatment goals, frequency of attendance, how hard you work in therapy, the type of treatment you are seeking and other ideas you want to explore. People report that they begin to feel better after a couple of sessions.

Are my records confidential?

All information that is disclosed within a session and the written records pertaining to those sessions are confidential and may not be revealed to anyone without written permission; except where disclosure is required by law.

When Disclosure is Required by Law: When there is reasonable suspicion of child, dependent, or elder abuse or neglect; or when a client presents a danger to themselves, to others, to property, or is gravely disabled.

When Disclosure May Be Required: It may be required pursuant to legal proceedings by or against you. If you place your mental status at issue in litigation initiated by you, the defendant may have the right to obtain the psychotherapy records and/or testimony by Central Counseling Services. In couple and family therapy, or when different family members are seen as individuals, confidentially and privilege do not apply between the couple or among family members. CCS will use their clinical judgment when revealing such information. CCS will not release records to any outside party unless they are authorized to do so by ALL adult family members who were part of the treatment.


How often do I come to therapy?

Therapy is often weekly. Speak to your therapist for their recommendation for you.

What is a LCSW?

A Licensed Clinical Social Worker has a Master's degree in Social Work and has had supervised clinical work experience of at least 3500 hours, and has passed a state-certified licensing exam. They focus their treatment goals on the individual therapy, family therapy or couple's therapy and they use community resources and strength based assessments to help develop an action plan. Licensed Clinical Social Workers are required by California Board of Behavioral Sciences to complete 36 hours of continuous education units every two years.

What is a LMFT?

A Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist has a Master's degree in Psychology and has had at least 3,000 hours supervised clinical work experience, and has passed a state-certified licensing exams. Along with a year long practicum and internship; Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists are required to complete clinical training in individual, child and family therapy. They are also required by California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) to complete 36 continuing education units every two years.

It is important to note that all California Licensed LCSW’s, LMFT’s, LPCC's and Psychologists are all qualified to provide psychotherapy services to individuals, couples and family groups. What matters most is your personal connection to the therapist and their experience treating your area of concern.

What is a LPCC?

A Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors must possess a master's or doctoral degree that has counseling or psychotherapy in content and has had a minimum of 3,000 hours supervised clinical work experience, and has passed a National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Exam.  They are also required by California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) to complete 36 continuing education units every two years. 

The primary purpose of counseling is to empower the client to deal adequately with life situations, reduce stress, experience personal growth, and make well-informed, rational decisions.



How do I know if my therapist is licensed?                                                                                     

For a current list of licensed therapists please visit this site. Or you can type CA BBS verify in your search engine and the link will come up. Be assured that all of the therapist working for Central Counseling Services are licensed therapists. We also provide a few interns that are directly supervised and they too are registered with the Board of Behavioral Sciences.